Monday, June 17, 2013

while you're elsewhere

I cross the street
my clothes saying all kinds of things

only chewing hot gum 

from the ground

I'm getting nine sunburns 

in exactly 2 days

crying in my sleep about you

lost and found and lost without you

lost lost lost dreaming

without without without you

crowning the head of a new-found bed

my mind 2000 miles away

on a website I can't name

in words I just can't say

receiving half-baked 

barely feigned communiques

I sure hope your brownies 

all taste really great

cooled by zoned out intuition

distance and a lack of faith

warmed over by the universal 

radiance of blacktop


shooting baskets
pretending to be young

trying to look like I'm not trying 
crushed hands dying

outside in the unrelenting light
the heat the sun

flushed and gleaming dying quietly
smashing down remainder feelings

finding myself alone for the 4 millionth time
filling the grassy blankets, the cracked cement,

the invisible bedrooms, the mismatched plastic chairs
with tiny Xs in the air

coughing alone, fresh sage smudging
hungrily awaiting a BBQ that will never come

no feeling in my future 
numbly unsupported perhaps undone

seconds after peeling 
another sad corner

I watch a scrawny kid 
handing rocks thru a fence

holding my phone 
like the hand of a child

my shoes tell lies about me
dirty and unresponsive

scattering like moths 
on the arms of strangers

marveling at all the form-fitting irony
the youthful sense of danger

always on time for fashion 
none for revision or tradition

to hear what you are doing
your own repetitions

to hear what can be heard
while feeling so hollow

tiny Xs in our eyes
we parted like greasy hair

all the soil turned over
but our fields left fallow

No comments:

Post a Comment